Particle™ is a granular delay / pitch shifting pedal. It chops your signal into small grains and then rearranges, shifts, and mangles it, using the techniques of granular synthesis in real time. Results range from radical pitch and delay modulation to shimmering repeats to time stretching, stutter, and glitch sounds.
Five delay and three pitch modes give intuitive control over random delays, bubbling textures, cinematic soundscapes, time stretching, and rhythmic glitches. Take a unique approach beyond conventional delay, pitch, flanging, and chorus sounds. Freeze notes with adjustable threshold for stutter, punch in, or drone-line effects. Lock multiple parameters to tap tempo or MIDI sync with independent note divisions for intricate rhythms. Access all parameters via MIDI, tablet, or use expert mode for front-panel control over all granular processing.
Seven pitch quantization settings allow shifting, detuning, and random jumps in octaves, octave & fifths, semitones, and other ratios. Pitch quantization changes the behavior of randomization and detuning,
Multiple feedback settings allow notes to be recycled, repeated based on probability and/or number of repeats, or fade out naturally. Ping-pong feedback and random stereo panning create
Our web-based editor gives you access to all parameters and configuration settings. The editor allows you to name and organize presets, download them to your computer and share them on patchstorage.com. We also provide a TouchOSC layout for expanded performance control on iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows.
The Particle 2 is performance friendly, with controls spaced for real-time tweaking and designed so you can explore new sonic territory while remaining in control. Use the assignable expression pedal or DIY-friendly remote switch for hands-free control. The Particle 2 is pedalboard-friendly with all jacks on top. With full MIDI control, stereo input/output, and +8 dBu maximum input level, it is also at home in modular setups or the studio.
Particle 2 won the Premier Guitar Premier Gear award. Read the Premier Guitar Review (9/2019)
The Particle V1, released in 2011, was the first granular delay pedal. The Particle 2 added stereo I/O, presets, MIDI, higher fidelity, and greatly expanded the sounds possible while keeping the lucid interface. Learn more about the history of the Particle in our blog.
- 3 pitch modes: detune, density, LFO
- 5 delay modes: random, density, LFO, random pitch, reverse
- Expert mode for front panel control over all grain parameters
- Adjustable grain size and density
- Pitch shift +/- 1 octave
- Multiple pitch modes include free, semitones, octaves, octaves & fifths, intervals and inversions
- Delay 0-2.5 seconds
- Feedback with adjustable lowpass filter
- Multiple feedback types include reprocessed, post-delay, ping-pong, and grain repeat
- Auto-freeze/stutter with adjustable threshold
- Stereo panning and random spread.
- Tap tempo/momentary freeze footswitch
- Independent tap divisions for delay time, grain size, grain density, and LFO
- Soft touch bypass (momentary or latching), user replaceable
- Stereo input/output (TRS)
- Assignable expression pedal, remote switch, remote tap, or MIDI port
- Additional parameters via MIDI (USB or TRS)
- MIDI clock synchronization
- Presets (4 on front, 127 via MIDI)
- Web-based editor for editing presets and accessing hidden parameters
- TouchOSC layout for iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows
Designed and assembled in USA. Requires a 9V 250 mA center negative power supply (not included).